17 January 2008

Info for Mrs. Kelley

After all these years, we're reconnected! And, I don't even have to stand on my head and spit wooden nickles! You didn't leave a contact e-mail on the blog, so I am hoping that this will be effective. Yes, I am interested in keeping contact with students at St. Francis. There is a program through the Peace Corps called the Paul D. Coverdell World Wise Schools Program. It connects volunteers around the world with students and teachers back in the States. I have not fully looked into the program, but I know it works more effectively when the volunteer sets himself up directly with a teacher. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Peace Corps reimburses postage (always a plus!). If your students are at all interested in learning about Malian culture, the education system, agricultural practices, or even just life in general, I would gladly correspond with them. You can contact the Peace Corps through this website (http://www.peacecorps.gov/wws/), or we can just write back and forth... depending on if you would like the formalities or not. The Peace Corps may even send you educational supplies for you and your students, so it is definitely worth looking into. St. Francis provided me with a strong educational background; therefore, I look forward to giving back any way I can... except monetarily at this point! Also, there is a village next to mine where the students are beginning to learn English. Perhaps they will be able to write as pen pals with the students at St. Francis if their English improves. If not, I am friends with the teacher, and I am sure he would be thrilled to act as translator in order to bridge the cultural and language gap. The students could learn so much from each other. Contact the Peace Corps from the website or send me an e-mail/regular mail with details.

My e-mail is: davemunsell@hotmail.com

Or you can write to:

Dave Munsell, PCV
Corps de la Paix
Douentza, Mali
West Africa

1 comment:

Zack M said...

Dave, I'm so excited for the journey Mike and I are about to join you on in Mali. The trip to the waterfalls and camping are going to be amazing and I'm glad we will be there to help you begin your Millet farming, you would put us to work! None the less i really am counting down the days until graduation and the days after until Mike and I ship out to DAVE in Mali. I do wish you could be here for my graduation. I also received your postcard and laughed my but off imagining you in the middle of he crowd. Anyways i'll hear from you soon, Peace bud.

Website Traffic Statistics
Circuit City Online Coupons