01 October 2008

Back to work in Mali

I've been back in Mali for a while now since my trip to Europe/Morocco. Life is definitely status quo here and I am waiting (nearly patiently) for cold season to begin in a few months... late November or early December. Rainy season is coming to a close, but I was told this year has been a season "especial" because there have been more consistent rains than in recent memory. The millet is green, tall and healthy... Allah is smiling down up on the people of Mali.


Getting back to my village at the beginning of Ramadan was a bit of a trip. For the most part the villagers thought I had disappeared and wasn't coming back. Sometimes I am surprised that I came back, but I actually do enjoy what I am doing here and my friends from village and Peace Corps are awesome. It is strange to think how a year from now I will be leaving and will, most likely, never see any of these people again. Not seeing my Malian friends is pretty much a given, but it will also be difficult to keep up with PCV friends as we'll probably spread out around the world when we're done here. But that's not a subject to dwell on at this moment.

Work related, projects are going at the typical Malian snail pace. Regardless of the speed, I am really just happy that the projects are actually running as planned. As anticipated, the cereal bank project is definitely turning out to be long term. The building is nearly complete. We had to halt work in order to make way for the rainy season. You can't very well build a mud and stone house when it is raining and storming on a sort of regular basis. The roof has gaping holes that we will plug with dung, mud and sticks and we must now clear the mud from the floor and lay the cement down. Once this is completed, we'll build the pallets and buy the grains after the harvest season (late November). What's exciting is that we have chosen the members of the association that will be charged with running the cereal bank. Now that Ramadan is over and the harvest season has yet to begin, my tutor and I will begin the education phase on proper cereal bank management over the next couple weeks. It will take no more than a few days, but we need to finish up the prep work, ensure that everyone can attend, purchase educational materials and make sure that the association "gets it." It'll be a challenge to teach in Fulfulde, but I am ready for it and am excited to have something big to do.
As for the drought resistant millet project, it has pretty much tanked. The seeds came late, we did not nearly receive as much as we needed and we ended up planting late due to odd rains early in the season. The millet is growing, but there does not seem to be much of a difference between the Niger millet varieties and the local varieties. The local variety is actually better. What is neat is that the villagers are pumping themselves up with the pride of their own millet actually growing better. So, you can see that from this little experiment, the result has not been more, better millet, but local empowerment. A curveball, but a good one at that.
My rabbits haven't had any litters yet, but I am waiting. I really just want to eat them, but I have put in this much effort already. I will continue to play this one out. They aren't a cost burden, it has just added extra work for my homologue with no results after 5 months. We'll give it a few more.
Next on the project agenda is gardening. I bought about $30 worth of seeds (carrot, lettuce, onions and peppers) today and will work with a few guys in village to plant early. We want to get the gardening going early this year in order to beat the market glut that inevitably occurs during the cold season. Hopefully we can produce some veggies a few weeks early and capitalize on the market demand.
Unrelated to work issues, I turned 24 this past Saturday and it was a blast. I shared my birthday with another volunteer from Mopti region and everyone got together to show us a good time. We all met up in Bandiagarra for a big 'ole fiesta. In the picture below you can see Kate and I with our personalized birthday cakes.

This is my cake... I am truely integrated into Malian culture. "Happy birthday Amadou!" I don't know how or where they got these cakes, but they tasted so good. Seriously good. Thanks guys!

This picture is a must because the birthday boy has always got to be the ladies' man. Aren't I the lucky one?

5 comments:

Joey said...

Hey David,
I heard your birthday just past so iwanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I miss you and love you so so much! I'm so proud of what youre doing all the way across the globe from here! Some day maybe i'll have the guts to do what youre doing!

Love,
Joey

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
My name is Cheryl Falletti. I know your parents and I am also a nurse at the hospital.
Your parents helped me alot through our son's transition to the Peace Corps.
He starts teaching computer science this week to probably 100 high school students.
Since Bobo hasn't had computer science, Mike has to set up the program but if anyone can do it, he can!
Happy Birthday BTW! Looks like you had fun.
Mike doesn't have a blog but posts pictures and videos..if you have time, take a look.
It is flickr.com/photos/hypostylin
I admire what you have done and admire all of you PCV's.
Take care of yourself!
Cheryl

Ann Everson said...

Hi there David! Birthday greetings from all the Eversons on Cape Cod! We have so enjoyed hearing about your important (and extremely cool!) work with the Peace Corps in Mali...Rest assured that you are in our hearts and in our prayers...You are indeed changing our world for the better...We are so proud of you, David, for making the courageous decision to become a PCV...Thank God for you and for the work that you do--day in and day out...Take care...Love and hugs your way...Peace. XO

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Davey!
Glad to see you were celebrated in style!
You are doing wonderful work for your village! Keep enjoying!
And hope your rabbits do what rabbits do best!
Love, Cookie

Anonymous said...

Hi my Birthday Buddy - Cousin!
I wish you were here for our birthday. I was thinking about you. I miss you. Mom, Dad, Emma and I are here at your house on the Cape visiting with Autie Di Di, Uncle David, Hilary and her friend!
We checked out your blog and your birthday looked fun.

Love you
Kenzie
[I turned 8 years old on September 27th]

Website Traffic Statistics
Circuit City Online Coupons