23 November 2007







I traveled north into Gao on an overnight bus to celebrate Haloween a few weeks back and it rocked. On Novenber 1st my friends and I hopped in a small pirogue that barely floated (it's many leakes were patched before my eyes) and rode 2 hours down/across the niger against the current through rice paddies until we came to the Rose Dune. The Rose Dune is immense and rises from the banks of the Niger; it is a mini desert in the middle of the Sahelian region. As the sun was setting, we hiked up the dune, and, as temptation proved too strong, we rolled down losing everything in our pockets. It was just like going to Sandy Neck with Grandpa when I was little... only 10 times bigger and in Africa! The first picture is a view from my seat in the Pirogue and you can see a thin pathway leading through a rice field in the middle of the Niger.












This following picture is of the dune from the river. Sadly a picture just does not do justice to the immensity and beauty that the dune projects when you are seeing it for real. To the top, it's about a 20 minute walk from the banks of the river, which by no means is anything extensive, but the view is awesome from there. On one side is the Niger with the shores of Gao lighting upon the opposite bank. The other side stretches endlessly in a mix of Sahelian/Saharan landscape; the sandy ground cover is pocked with low, tough shrubs and small rising dunes.







Here I am looking uber-Peace Corps with my jeans rolled up, scruffy face, shoeless and the ever present Nalgene dangling from my pants.












I finally got a dog and his name is Rufus! Here he is playing with his favorite toy. It's really just a bunch of rags that I tied together, but he loves to rip it apart. Now I just need to teach him how to play fetch. Any advice on how to effectively train a dog? I am desperately trying to westernize him and it is working to an extent, but it's a lot of work. Believe me, I have plenty of time, though! He pretty much eats anything I give him... even beans! I didn't think that one would go over well, but he really enjoys them. He jumped out of the basket I tied to my bike the other day and scraped himself up badly, but he is healing and there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage; he's a dumb dog, but at least he's tough. Jumping from a moving bike at about 25km/h!






Thanksgiving was good and thanks to everyone I was able to speak to on the phone last night. That was truely awesome and it really made my night. I just wish I could have been there with all of you! Everyone sounds like they are doing really well staying healthy and that is all I can really hope for. I actually had an America-ish meal of duck, pork, cranberry sauce, pasta salad and sangria and it rocked so much. I am still full almost 24 hours later. My body was definitely not used to the richness of the food, but it was so worth it!
I'll hopefully be able to update this blog around Christmas if not sooner. I am going on a hiking trip next to Douentza in about 2 weeks and will get some really good photos. I have plans to go rock climbing in Hombori at some point in the near future. Christmas will most likely be spent in Dogon country, which definitely entails hiking. The next month should be filled with these types of fun activities. And, this week I am going to see about teaching english in the village next to mine. Finally.... real work to do woohoo!

5 comments:

Jeanne Tuthill said...

Hi Dave! It was great to hear your voice on Thanksgiving and know that you are happy and doing well! What an exciting and wonderful adventure you are on.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and about that cute little puppy!!! :-)

xo
Aunt Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave..
It was pretty surreal taking to you on Thanksgiving so far from home, it's always been Uncle Tom, or Rob who has been away. I am glad that you have a 4 legged companion to travel with you and keep you company. He looks well fed.....Life turned out good for Rufus in Africa.

LOve from Dad

Anonymous said...

David
Sent you a box hope you'll get it soon.Put in things thought you might need, could use, don't have, might want, had dreams about. We at the Quin family glad you're doing well and your Blogs are great to read. Enjoy and take care.
Jac jill and Ali Quin

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Thanks for climbing to the top of that mountain to make the cell phone call. Hugs delivered and greatfully recieved. We think of you often and it's really great to know he's with you in Mali.

Eric and Peggy

The Mother said...

Hey Dave
I am sitting here with Mrs. Everson at Mrs. Baker's house. Tonight is our annual Holly Swap. Everyone is here [Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Everson, Mrs. Delaney, Mrs. Quilty, Mrs. Tivy, Mrs. Butler, Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Moynihan, and Mrs. MacDonald. They all say hello, send thier love and they are all so very proud of you! Mr. Baker was also sitting her a minute ago and I showed him your blog with Mrs. Everson. They are amazed at what you are doing and they wish you well.

Mike Butler comes home tomorrow. He has had a wonderful experience out in the Pacific coast. He fought Forest Fires and loves what he is doing too.

The gals loved checking out the photos of Rufus tonight. Very cute!

Of course, they all have known you since you were a little boy and they asked all the appropriate MOTHERLY questions: What is he eating. Where does he live? Is he happy? Do you miss him? do you get to talk to Dave? etc.

So...just know that they are all so very proud of you and cannot wait to see you when you get back!

Mrs. Everson just said.."I can't get my mind around what he is doing..it is just so big..but so important". That really does say it all! She also said: "A leap of Faith - he is where he needs to be."

We love you Dave!!!

we are just thinking of those days when you were playing in the yard with Jay and Greg! And now...you are all grown up.
OK>>>must go..we are now crying!!! Literally. it's a mother thing!

"Hugs your way Dave...Love you...Mrs. E"

Mrs. Quitly just said that she told everyone about you at a parent teacher conference the other night when someone mentioned that "kids today do not do enough. they just don't give back." She said..."OH NO YOU DON't...I know a young man Dave. I have known him since he was a little boy and He is in Mali in the Peace Corps..and he IS GIVING BACK!"

My heart swelled!

From Mrs. Baker:
"I love you, I am so proud of you!"

They all chimed in: Dave...we all miss you and we really are proud!
xoxoxoxoxoox

Website Traffic Statistics
Circuit City Online Coupons