27 December 2007

Merry Christmas

The Peace Corps is aging me... I look older than my 23 years. I don't really have a mustache, though... that's just from lack of shaving regularly.


Christmas rocked in Mali. I rode a camel (which is seriously uncomfortable), slept on the fringe of the Sahara Desert (which is seriously cold), and rode fast in an offroad vehicle (which is seriously bumpy). All in all, it rocked.


I celebrated the Tabaski/Li-ah/Eid/Muslim New Year in my village and I ate more meat than I have in one day than in all 5 months here combined. My village slaughtered around 40 animals (which is seriously bloody!) and roasted them all throughout the day. That's a lot of meat for around 200 people. Between all the meat and around 15 rounds of Malian tea, my body was wracked and I didn't sleep that night. The villagers doned their finest white robes and went out into the fields to pray during the morning. Following the prayers, we all went to the local imam's house where he slaughtered lambs and goats, then to the local chief's house where he slaughtered more animals and people tooled around on motorcycles. Then, the slaughtering culminated in the slaughtering of a cow and lots more sheep and goats at my jah tigi's (host family) house.


I am going back to village this afternoon for a few days and will return to Douentza for New Years. After that, it's on to Bamako for In Service Training and hopefully some Americanized Food.


I read a quote from a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ethiopia in the 1960s. It was something along the lines of "I respected the Ethiopian customs and culture, but I could never fully adapt. I am just an incurable American!" That's me. As much as I enjoy village life, I can't stay away from Douentza where there are some modern amenities (although I still lack electricity and running water), I'll never wear the Malian clothing again, I cook semi-American food almost daily, I value American contacts (as I don't have to explain myself because the cultural values are innate), etc.



In other news, I have adopted the Peace Corps Stare. Upon first arriving in Mali, I noticed something odd and spacy about the current volunteers. I couldn't quite place it, but something was definitely different with these people who had lived in Mali for an extended amount of time. Speaking with the current PCVs, it was difficult to get their attention at times, as they would be staring off into space lost in some unseen fog. This is the Peace Corps Stare and it comes from spending hours, days, weeks, and months as the solitary American in a village where you are constantly lost in thought. You are able to tune the world out and find some comfort within the deepest recesses of your mind when you can't figure out what is going on around you... this happens way more often than you can imagine. The Peace Corps Stare is pretty serious and it can be difficult to get the attention of someone caught deep in it. It's almost like a zen/trancendental activity where you become completely immersed in your thoughts and leave the physical place you're actually in. I've been caught in this Peace Corps stare and my villagers have to scream "Amadu! Amadu! Ada milla faa hewi!" (Amadu you think too much!) in order to get my attention. It can definitely take some work to get me back into reality from the Peace Corps stare! This is definitely a useful tool I have adopted in order to pass the time at site and on those terribly uncomfortble bus rides.
Have a great New Year! This post is sporadic and doesn't make much sense or explain too much, but that's where I think I'm at right now. Hopefully I can find a faster computer to post more pics, as I have tons of awesome new ones.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
It was fun chatting from Aunti Diane and Uncle Dan's on Christmas Day. Everyone LOVED hearing of your stories and hearing your voice.

And again, chatting today with you felt very special. You sound awesome. You really are changing and growing. Your experiences are very rich and it sounds as though you have some very speical people around you! We are glad that you recieved the new jeans just in time and that Salif loved the harmonica!

We hope that Erica is able to make it to Mali in August, and we know Mike and Zack will be there some time in June or July.

Dad and I will definitely spend Thankgsgiving with you! That will be a truely awesome experience. We just may smuggle in some Canned Turkey as we are not sure we can do the goat or sheep? LOL

Be Happy, Be Safe, Be Well

Love
Mom

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas Dave!!
I love reading about your adventures and the fun things you do. Riding Camels...yea, they don't look like a ride of luxury and comfort!! Glad you had fun though.
We are up in NH...lots of snow... today.
We will be getting together with the family next weekend and I do have something that I will send home with your mom for you next care package!
Scary on the stare!
Stay safe!
Love you,
Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
It was great talking to you on Christmas Day. Your adventures soud great and keep up on the great Posts. I am working on my resume and will send it soon.

LOve YA
Gramps

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
I hope that you received our gifts for Christmas. We missed talking to you at Christmas but maybe the next time that mom calls on skype we can be there. Papa and I love reading about your experiences. Take pics so that we can see what life is like there. Most of the guys at Griffin Avionics have read your blog when I print it and they always ask about how you are getting along.
So keep safe and keep your mind active.
Love Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
I hope that you received our gifts for Christmas. We missed talking to you at Christmas but maybe the next time that mom calls on skype we can be there. Papa and I love reading about your experiences. Take pics so that we can see what life is like there. Most of the guys at Griffin Avionics have read your blog when I print it and they always ask about how you are getting along.
So keep safe and keep your mind active.
Love Grandma

Website Traffic Statistics
Circuit City Online Coupons