14 December 2007

Quick Post

I climbed the mountain, and it was awesome. I didn't think I would be in Douentza right now, so I didn't bring my camera. I will get pictures up at some point because there are some wicked good ones. I climbed with Eric from Nebraska and Fikru from Colorado. He camped in a cave, had a bon fire, drank some cheap whiskey out of plastic bags, and listened to country music while warding off imaginary hyenas with hollers, whoops and my big machette! There could have been hyenas... I think our fire, noise and big knife just scared them off. We WERE camping in a cave in the middle of Africa!

I wrote an e-mail to Dylan today and I am gonna post it here because it gets some points across about prospective Peace Corps service and may give some people a better idea of my life here. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

"what up?
Good to hear from you. You're seriously applying for the Peace Corps? That's awesome. We're gonna have to have a long talk on the phone sometime so I can explain many things to you. What I can tell you right now though is that the Peace Corps is the most contradictory life experience you'll ever have that combines the lowest of lows with the highest of highs that equal up to one wild emotional rollercoaster. I've only been here 5 months, and I have 21 to go, but I feel like I've lived an entire other life since I arrived. My thoughts, rationals, opinions, values, and everything else have all changed. I hope for the better. I have really learned to slow things down and take life as it comes, as I have FAR too much time to sit, think and refelct upon the past events of my life. It is one hell of an adventure and I am enjoying it thoroughly... minus becoming violently ill and having delirius fevers from time to time (they can be scary sometimes... combo of crazy malaria meds and high fever delirium equal really bad drug trip from a movie!) Combine the lows of the sickness, lonliness, feelings of isolation, etc with the highs of climbing mountains, speaking multiple languages, experiencing new cultures, and generally rocking and rolling and you can almost begin to understand the contradictory emotinoal rollercoaster that is Peace Corps life.
Apply sooner than later so that you can hone in more on what you want. I was too eager to just begin my service and took the first prospect that came. Had I waited, I may have got South America. I have actually forgotten almost all of my spanish now! My head is full of Fulfulde, Bambara, Dogon and French... I hope I don't forget English next! I spoke a little spanish today. but it was harder than pulling teeth. Anyway, as to getting what you want out of the Peace Corps app process, it is wierd how things work out. I am very happy in Africa. I love my village (we grow some tasty mangoes and guavas), have made awesome friends, have seen some terribly amazing sites, and opened up possibilities that I never knew were possible. Africa is poor, but the hope, happiness and resilience that the people harbor here is beyond words. It's just incredible. Strive for what you want, but if you don't get it, just go with what you get. It should work out. The Peace Corps is an amazing way to discover not only the world, but yourself as well. I read yesterday in a Hemingway book that traveling to different, exotic lands will not change you nor erase your problems because you are who you are. This is true to an extent. What you can attain from travel is a broader base to build upon. You can take everything in that you see, hear, touch, and smell and use it create your life the way you want. The Peace Corps is a great way to site back from 2 years, build up your resume, learn an incredible amount, hone in on what you want out of life, mature, and focus yourself.
I wish you luck and please feel free to send me questions any time. I hope this e-mail helps you out. Good luck with finals coming up and tell everyone i said hey when you see them over winter break. Hit up some mountains for me, as I won't see snow for another 2 years! If you need a friend to write a recommendation for you I will gladly write it up over the internet. who knows, maybe having an official PCV speaking on your behalf will give you some weight!
-Dave"

Take care everyone!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.adventurecenter.com/Peregrine_Adventures/trip/pfmf

Dear Dave, I am a cousin of Erica's mom Cookie, and am coming to Mali on a vacation. The details of my itinerary are in the link above.......If you think there is some way we can see each other in Mali, please let me know!

You can reach me at musictravels2@yahoo.com. I will leave the US on Dec. 27, flying to Bamako, where I arrive on Dec. 28.

Would love to meet you. Best, Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Dave
we just got back from the Norwegean Cruise from Boston to Nowhere. We had a wonderful time. Several traveling with us gto a tad sea sick - swells of up to 20 feet. It was an incredble journey and being out in the open seas in such a storm....breathtaking.

Reading your post tonight I experienced mixed emotions. I felt sad about the "lonliness" you experience, and proud and happy about what you are learning about yoursef and the world around you.

Your words of wisdom to Dylan make me so proud! I hope Dylan finds some inspiration from your experiences.

Reading Roxanne's email gets me very excited. It will be really neat if you can meet up with her. Wow...a visitor. How cool that will be.

Zack just walked in and says Hello. He was psyched about your message to Dylan and Dylan's thoughts about the Peace Corps.

It won't be too long before Zack and Mike are there visiting you as well.

Thinking about you and missing you so much.

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays Dave.
Sorry we were not able to speak with you this weekend, but as Mom said, we were braving the Atlantic Seas. It was a little rough, but all went well. I ran into Dylan's Mom last week she asked about you and cares very much about you. I am glad that you are reading and learning all the time. I wanted to post a quote from Mark Twain for you and Dylan. "Travel is fatal to predjudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness -- all foes to real understanding. Likewise, tolerance or broad, wholesome charitable views of men and living things cannot be acquired by vegetating in our little corner of the Earth all of one's lifetime." Michael sent me that quote a couple of years ago. It was one of the best gifts I ever received.

Love Dad!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! I'm not too technologically saavy, so your dad talked me through leaving you a message. It has been so interesting reading your blog. What an amazing eperience you are having. Great to see all the pictures, too. Rufus looks like a great buddy! Dylan is now home for the holiday break. It seems funny not to see you walk through the door w/ Aaron etc. We miss you and think of you a lot --- Especially when I make a batch of brownie bars!! Take care. Hope you have an enjouyable holiday; I'll look forward to hearing how you spend it. Janice

Anonymous said...

Dave
Finally got your gift in the mail. We hope you like the gift. I found a guy who even looks like you at Eastern Mountain Sports and his build seems to be the same so he tried your gift on and the fit was perfect. You probably won't get it until after the New Year though. I was going to send it through UPS, but they told me the cost was $400.00. WOW! So you will have to wait as we have sent it by postoffice mail. We are getting ready for Christmas, and all the trimmings that go along with our celebration.
We will miss you very much,think of you each day and love you very much. Keep well and God Bless You
Grandma and Papa

Anonymous said...

So Dave....
Rufus has a sister!

Dad surprised us all when he told us to go pick out a dog today 12/23and then helped us find one! He located a place and Hilary, Anthony, Emma and I drove out to pick out out.

The place was 1.5 hrs away. The guy waited for us as we were a bit late, and then spent a lot of time with us as we met all the puppies and found the perfect additon to the family.

She is so cute!
Her name is Marli
We almost called her Mali
Zack wanted to name her Marley after Bob Marley, but Hilary and I insisted on the feminine spelling.

She is a 10 week old chocolate Labradoodle, but she looks 98% lab. A bit of wave in her fur. She reminds us a little bit of Greta (facial features).

I will send photos!

Hope you are feeling better and enjoying your Christmas Celebration this weekend.

We wish you were here!!!
We will call you on Christmas Day.

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Sounds like your Peace Corp experience has been wonderful (minus the scary illnessess!!). We wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. GOod luck with your English teaching and keep the good work.

THe Hazeltons - Carol, Bob & Rob

Anonymous said...

Yo Dude,it's Philo. So you really are in Africa. It's funny to think that while im sitting around Umass enjoying my last semester, you're off riding camels and killing pigeons.Looks like you've settled in pretty well. I like how you named your dog Rufus, its a good strong name. So its around spring training time for the red sox. Remember that game we went to? That was a pretty good time. But seriously im pretty jealous of the awesome experiences you are experiencing. Its most certainly more exciting then dead heading on the hill. Keep on rocking buddy, talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say Hi to Everyone!

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.onlinebagsstore.co.uk/]louis vuitton bags[/url][/b] You might arrive at the customer's property (or they to your household) and also you could charge over a half-hourly or hourly basis. 9. Making Web Web pages - In case you are artistic and technically minded, there's an incredible option available at this moment creating web websites for smaller businesses.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonsalesstore.com/]louis vuitton sale[/url][/b] You software it for approved program interval by pushing a button on the cap to inform it you may need to choose a capsule say - every single 2, four, 6, eight hours, and many others. When programmed, an alarm seems for 20 seconds when it time and energy to choose a tablet. Along with the alarm, a red gentle flashes for a person moment when dosage is due.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] If you've ever been intrigued in bringing the magic of understanding to some new generation, then a job during the sector of education may very well be great for you. Instructing is really a demanding vocation, but most instructors locate their function exceptionally fulfilling. For many teaching or instruction employment, it is essential you enjoy functioning with individuals and that you've got fantastic conversation expertise.

[b][url=http://www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuittoun outlet[/url][/b] Gucci Handbags is legendary for that functionality. With none additional words and phrases, its transcendent temperament proves every little thing. Most characteristic generously padded shoulder straps and a few also have got a belt for stabilizing the load at your waist. While you get hold of this sort of as me personally, you might be unquestionably gonna utilize the splendor which includes most of these reproduction also to low-priced totes. If you are searching with regard to affluence additionally to high-class while in the purse, Submit promise you, Gucci developers purses tend to be details you involve. Gucci totes will be the aspiration purse than a lady this sort of as me personally would perform with to enhance your girlfriend technique for life because these types of reproduction purses are created to check superb.

[b][url=http://www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] Really stylish and classy YSL shades are remarkable LV Bags For women and acquire a person holds in addition to the monumental group. Within the cover, YSL glasses tend to be time tested shades, which is able to by no means stroll out fashion. With canine bakeries breeding in a genuinely rapid price globally -it Louis Vuitton Diary Available built should really not be at the same time challenging to come by a food stuff, in the condition of the navicular bone, constructed from carob it is a pure a hundred % pure candy that is definitely definitely louis vuitton sweden everyday to most dogs.

Anonymous said...

jGrb ghd hair straightener
sHfa ugg boots sale uk
lOmc michael kors outlet
4iSio ugg uk
8yLgt chi hair products
8zPkj ghd australia
5pFdf cheap nfl jerseys
2xTeu ghd
9wGnr north face jackets
9wInm comprar ugg online
9mUof purple ghd
7hExw michael kors
2wWbl nfl shop
8dRtl ghd españa
4dDph discount uggs

Anonymous said...

aev tamoxifen citrate for sale - tamoxifen no prescription http://www.nolvadexonlinerx.net/#tamoxifen-no-prescription , [url=http://www.nolvadexonlinerx.net/#nolvadex-price ]nolvadex price [/url]

Anonymous said...

hello cheap zyban - generic zyban http://www.wellbutrinonlinecheap.net/#generic-zyban , [url=http://www.wellbutrinonlinecheap.net/#zyban-online ]zyban online [/url]

Anonymous said...

Chanel Outlet Online 315840 Burberry Bags online 354039 Louis Vuitton Outlet 503168 http://discountlouisvuittonbags.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

Hermes Bags on sale 671619 Hermes Birkin sale 831151 Gucci Bags 670806 http://guccihandbagsforcheap.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

christian louboutin outlet 556860 Gucci Handbags for cheap 157182 Cheap Gucci Bags 171330 http://cheaplouboutinshoes.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

discount christian louboutin 623158 christian louboutin outlet 561304 Hermes Birkin sale 588173 http://guccihandbagsforcheap.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

Burberry Outlet 906302 christian louboutin outlet online 380978 Gucci Outlet 984805 http://hermesbagsoutletsale.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

Chanel Bags 760104 Chanel Outlet 832959 Hermes Outlet 648942 http://cloutlets.webs.com/

Anonymous said...

Louis Vuitton Bags store 947957 Hermes Birkin 320204 Chanel Bags 936565 http://cloutlets.webs.com/

Anonymous said...

Louis Vuitton Handbags 42091 Chanel Bags 751123 Gucci Outlet 924770 http://guccioutletonline.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

Chanel Outlet 236660 Hermes Bags on sale 880095 cheap christian louboutin shoes 399809 http://cheapburberrybagsonline.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

Gucci Outlet 627009 Hermes Birkin sale 859292 Burberry Bags online 43810 http://guccioutletonline.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

christian louboutin outlet online 469640 Hermes Outlet 47738 Louis Vuitton Bags sale 340102 http://discountlouisvuittonbags.cabanova.com/

Anonymous said...

12, Buy Rizatriptan - cheap maxalt online http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/, [url=http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/] Maxalt Without Prescription [/url]

Anonymous said...

12, Cheap Lamisil - buy lamisil online http://www.lamisilfast24.net/, [url=http://www.lamisilfast24.net/] Cheap Lamisil [/url]

Website Traffic Statistics
Circuit City Online Coupons